Kaingo Kitchen’s vegetable plot broccoli tots
These broccoli tots are not only delicious but are extremely versatile as well. What’s more, whip up a big batch and they will keep well in the freezer for one of those days when the kids are nagging for a snack.
We choose to serve these bite-sized goodies to accompany a scrumptious cake at tea. However, they are perfect as nibbles at a drinks party or just an accompaniment for a mezze style lunch.
- 340g broccoli, cut into small florets
- ¼ cup scallions, thinly sliced (25 g)
- 2 cloves large garlic, finely diced
- ⅔ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- ⅔ cup bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Season with a generous amount of salt. Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for about two minutes.
- Drain and finely chop the cooked broccoli.
- In a mixing bowl, add broccoli, scallions, garlic, cheddar, egg, and bread crumbs. Mix well and chill in the refrigerator for 15–20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Line a baking tan with butter to avoid sticking. Shape the mixture into tot shapes and spread them evenly on the sheet.
- Bake for 8–9 minutes. Flip and then bake for an additional 8–9 minutes on the other side until golden brown.
Have you read our weekly Big Cat Roundup blog? Shenton Safaris’ expert guides see big cats daily and we make sure you can read all about our sightings. Follow this link for last week’s edition.