Kaingo Kitchen’s plot cauliflower fritters
Fritters are a great way to use a glut of vegetables which we often have when vegetables are in season. Our vegetable plot located just outside Mfuwe town is bursting at its seams with cauliflower and we cannot think of a nicer crop to have in abundance! These crunchy, robust fritters are not only packed full of perfectly spiced cauliflower, but we have added a unique twist with the chickpea flour giving an earthy, robust texture.
- 2 large cauliflower heads, roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 spring onion, sliced thinly
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- 2 eggs
- 40ml coconut oil or sunflower oil
- 5ml dried coriander, ground
- sun-flower oil for frying
- Place cauliflower in a pan with a little oil on a high heat. Allow edges to colour and slightly char, add a generous pinch of salt, a little water to the pan and simmer until soft and most of the liquid is gone.
- Drain remaining liquid if necessary and place in a bowl. Lightly mash until cauliflower is broken up, don’t worry if uneven and some larger pieces as this adds to the texture!
- Add all the other ingredients including seasoning and mix well. Sit for 15 minutes.
- In a non-stick pan shallow fry in oil on a medium heat until golden and firm on one side, then turn over and repeat. Place on a paper towel to drain.
Note : Mixture may be quite delicate, use a spoon and pat slightly flat, once the egg sets during cooking the fritter will hold together.
These aromatic, robust fritters perfectly compliment our refreshingly sweet and sour crunchy cabbage salad. Follow this recipe for a duo made in culinary heaven!