Kaingo Kitchen: Grilled eggplant, toasted almond and herb salad
This smoky, robust and acidic salad has all the elements needed for it to be the main component on your brunch table. It has explosive flavours and is host to several interesting textures. The crunch from the toasted almond and zesty acid from the lemon perfectly compliment the earthy eggplant.
We recommend cutting the eggplant into thick generous slices and grilling them slowly to accentuate the full-bodied smoky flavours. What’s more, finish off with a yoghurt tahini dressing for a hint of freshness.
- 4 eggplants, sliced thickly
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds halved
- 1/2 red onion finely sliced
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- salt and pepper
- Heat the 2 tbsp olive oil in a skillet, sprinkle the cubed eggplant with salt and cook over medium heat for approximately 8 minutes
- While the eggplant is cooking, in a bowl whisk together the cumin, sweetener, vinegar, lemon juice, crushed garlic and olive oil.
- Once the eggplant has begun to soften, pour the liquid overtop and cook for another minute before removing from the heat. Make sure that you do not overcook the eggplant, it should be tender but not mushy and still hold its shape.
- Transfer the eggplant along with all of the remaining liquid in the pan to a serving bowl or platter. Add in the almonds, red onion, parsley and mint and stir until well mixed, season with salt and pepper and top with yoghurt tahini dressing before serving.
Have you read our weekly Big Cat Roundup blogs? If not, read last week’s edition, ahead of tomorrow’s blog. This way you have all the latest news on the cat action that graces Kaingo and Mwamba camps.