Crunchy cabbage salad topped with a vibrant and flavoursome tamarind sesame dressing.
This could come as a surprise, but the taste of this refreshing, crunchy, tart salad is better than it’s colour.
Combining the sweetness of the apple and texture and colour of our beautiful beets allows for taste sensations. To finish, we have topped it all off with a tamarind sesame dressing- a lovely play on sweet with sour.
It would not be a Kaingo Kitchen post if we did not share the recipe with you. We hope you enjoy this salad as much as we do!
- ½ Small red cabbage, sliced very thin
- 1 Red pepper, roasted and peeled, sliced thin
- 1 Red apple (do not peel but slice just before serving salad)
- 10 Cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 Beetroot, cooked, peeled and sliced
- 1 Small red onion, peeled and sliced thinly
Tamarind sesame dressing;
Soak a teaspoon of tamarind in a little water allowing it to make a thick paste but draining any excess water mix in ¼ cup lemon or lime juice, 2 tbs brown sugar, a few drops of sesame oil, half cup of sun-flower oil and a pinch of salt. Toast some sesame seeds in a dry pan and add to the dressing when. Combine and check balance and seasoning. Adjust where necessary.
Combine salad and dressing together and serve.